Sunday, October 4, 2009

Letting Out

No, I did not intentionally typed OUT in lieu of GO as in "Letting Go", the way we hear and use it often... this blog is really entitled Letting Out.

hmmmm.... letting out an anger??? NOPE.  this is a sewing blog, remember? needless to say, letting out is a sewing technique used to make  a dress bigger by using fabric from the seam. It is called ‘letting out’ because you are ‘letting’ the fabric ‘out’ of the seam. Seams are the leftover fabric on the other side of the stitching that holds a garment together (source: http://diyfashion.about.com/od/mendingandalterations/ss/LetOutDress.htm).

A few inches ago, I bought a dress which was on sale at Php150 (RM12).  I bought it not only because it was sold at 70% off the original price but moreso because of the design and the fabric used.  It is a sleeveless satin dress with a scoop fold-over that serves as an accent and cover for the deep v-cut backline.  Since the dress has a curve-hugging design, it would best fit a body without any love handles ;).  Anyway,  I wasn't able to wear it then and the dress was just kept in the closet until my 35th birthday which my hubby and I quietly  celebrated a few days ago.


A few weeks before my birthday, aside from the birthday project I am keeping myself busy with, I also happen to see on our closet this dress which I have been keeping for years.  And since I am smitten by the Indian culture lately (thanks to my fave author, Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat, Pray, Love" and constant viewing of Travel and Living shows), I thought of wearing the dress for my 35th birthday since it is Indian inspired.  BUT.... when I tried it on, NO, I didn't have to try it on, I knew it wouldn't fit me at all. I am now a few inches bigger than when I bought it.


But then, I told myself, when will I ever wore this dress? I don't think my body would still go back to my old few-inches lesser figure. It's either I keep it again and give it to someone else, or do something about the dress.  I then checked the inside seams and presto! The seams has a few inches extra fabric which I can use up to extend the side seams by half inch on both sides!!!! Yey!!! I then removed the stitching on both side seams from the armpit area all the way to the hemline :) I basted both sides to make sure I get the correct shape when I finally run the stitches; then I got my sewing machine and ran through the side seams with a straight running stitch. Removed the basting, and that was it!


So, on my 35th birthday, I wore the dress which I thought I wouldn't be able to wear anymore.


 





happy birthday to ME :)

God is good. All the Time! Life is worth living. One stitch at a time :)

No comments: