Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Stepping Up

Months before hubby and I left for our annual bonding adventure,  I bought two sewing books online.  Both books focus on how to sew dresses using just the basic patterns. In short, they're meant for dying-to-sew-a-dress-but-too-scared-to-try people like me.

I know I have already started creating blocked pattern blouses and a dress at one point, but up until now, I haven't still had that confidence to sew one without consuming much of my time thinking whether to push through or not.  Sad :(

Anyway, a few days before we left,  one book came into our mailbox and boy I was glad to have received it way before our adventure began, lest, it might have been lost should it had arrived while we're away.  I just scan through the pages and kept it with my other sewing books.

We already came back and in between cleaning the house and washing all the piled up laundry during our trip,  I happen to have watched the movie Julie & Julia.  It was a movie about how one person could change another's fate simply by inspiration.  It was a good movie. Straightforward and with Meryl Streep on the helm of it, it was undoubtedly a hit (at least for me, a Meryl Streep fan).  Then I remembered my new sewing book.  I told myself, why wouldn't I try doing what Julie from the movie did.  She recreated all the recipes from Julia's recipe book and managed to complete it and had the fulfilment she had been wanting to all her life.  Why not, eh?

My sewing book is simply about 25 very basic and simple dresses created by a Japanese lady who sews and writes too.


So for the next few days, weeks, months, and hopefully before I turned 38, I would have completed the book by sewing each and every featured creation there ;)  (sew help me God).  I'm doing this as my 37th birthday gift for myself.   For once, I need to step up my craft and hopefully make something good out of this.


God is good, all the time!


No comments: